[blfs-support] Radeon Extra Firmware [WAS: Boot Failure with wlan0 firmware]

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 22 12:57:15 PST 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 09:38:59AM -0600, Dan McGhee wrote:
> I'm asking this question because I really want to re-build my kernel
> only once.  My LFS kernel is looking for ARUBA_pfp.bin and
> TAHITI_uvd.bin.  In '/linux-firmware/radeon I have the same three ARUBA
> files that you have indicated.  So, obviously, I'll put them in
> /lib/firmware and indicate them in the "extra_firmware" line. When it
> comes to TAHITI though, I have the -uvd.bin, but also _ce.bin, _mc.bin,
> _me.bin, _pfp.bin, _rlc.bin and _smc.bin.  Do you know if I need all
> those TAHITI files, or should I just put them in "to be safe" and not
> have to reconfigure my kernel again, and again, and again....?

 I'm very far from an expert on firmware, but on my modern machines
with reasonably-stripped-down configs it doesn't take _too_ long to
rebuild a kernel.  For trying to identify what is needed on a
(desktop) radeon, I usually use the gentoo wiki:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon

 Just above the 'Driver' section [ gentoo-specific ] is a table with
columns for Family, Chipset name, Product name, Firmware - I see
that page has been updated since I last needed to look at it: the
Sea Islands and Volcanic Islands families are new to me, so I assume
that whatever it specifies is current.

ĸen