[blfs-support] /dev/fb0 not being created on boot

Richard Melville richard.melville69 at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 22 11:05:14 PST 2013

Ken, I'm using vesafb on a web server with no Xorg, and I just use the
console.  I realise that my kernel was quite old but as I like to check
every configuration option (often because of new hardware) it takes a long
time to configure a new kernel and becomes incredibly boring towards the
end :-(  Therefore, I usually limit my upgrades to about one per year, or
when I can be bothered.

Bruce, my framebuffer config was much like yours but with one exception: I
had CONFIG_X86_SYSFB=y.  This was stopping vesafb loading and stopping
/dev/fb0 being created.  I've removed that option, reconfigured, and now it
all works as expected.

Regarding vga=792, that still works for me.  If I substitute video=1024x768
the command is ignored an I get a large, ugly font.  I'm currently using
grub-2.0, so I can't understand what the problem is likely to be.  Any
ideas?

Richard