[blfs-support] Radeon Extra Firmware [WAS: Boot Failure with wlan0 firmware]

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Fri Nov 22 07:38:59 PST 2013

On 11/18/2013 01:18 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 11:56:14AM -0600, Dan McGhee wrote:
>>   If you look down there, you will see rt3290.bin, and if you click
>> on 'plain' in a graphical brower you can put it in /lib/firmware [ so
>> that future kernel versions will also be able to find it ].
>> [The above refers to 'linux-firmware' obtained from 'git.' (inserted by Dan)]
>>   If it is anythong like recent radeon graphics chips, you might have
>> to repeat the process for subsequent firmware blobs.
When I came back to this post to ask my current question, I couldn't
pass this up.  My radeon graphics chip is so recent that the linux
Catalyst driver at ATI is *.beta1.  I learned that I needed this when I
learned that for the current generation of on board ATI-Radeon HD
graphics 'fglrx' was not compatible and that ATI would release only
proprietary drivers.  I burned up three laptops because of this
ignorance.  Ergo, I'm really sensitive and cautious towards my
graphics.  A nice segue for my question below.
>>   I might have misunderstood a few of the datails, but this is what I
>> currently do on my newest radeon machine [ the one that needs loads
>> of blobs ] n the kernel .config-
>>
>> CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
>> CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y
>> # CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL is not set
>> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/BTC_rlc.bin radeon/ARUBA_me.bin
>> radeon/ARUBA_pfp.bin radeon/ARUBA_rlc.bin radeon/TAHITI_uvd.bin
>> rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw"
>> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"
>> CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER=y
I'm asking this question because I really want to re-build my kernel
only once.  My LFS kernel is looking for ARUBA_pfp.bin and
TAHITI_uvd.bin.  In '/linux-firmware/radeon I have the same three ARUBA
files that you have indicated.  So, obviously, I'll put them in
/lib/firmware and indicate them in the "extra_firmware" line. When it
comes to TAHITI though, I have the -uvd.bin, but also _ce.bin, _mc.bin,
_me.bin, _pfp.bin, _rlc.bin and _smc.bin.  Do you know if I need all
those TAHITI files, or should I just put them in "to be safe" and not
have to reconfigure my kernel again, and again, and again....?

>>   From memory, the help on the firmware settings is a bit confusing
>> and with this setup it pulls the firmware in near the end of the
>> kernel compile - at which point any missing firmware becomes
>> apparent.
>>
>>   My firmware is in directories (radeon/, rtl_nic/) because that is
>> conventional for those particular blobs.  For you, I guess you can put
>> rt3290.bin into /lib/firmware and use
>> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="rt3290.bin".
>>
>>   Technically, you could put it/them anywhere that is readable at
>> kernel compile time, but /lib/firmware is the common choice.
>>
>>   After you set it in menuconfig and save the config, take a look at
>> it to confirm that the entries look correct.  In particular,
>> /lib/firmware unless you want to use lib/firmware in the kernel tree
>> and to have to reload that every time you untar the kernel source.
>>
>> ĸen
Ken, this has turned out to be a quite useful and necessary piece of
information.  Thanks.

Dan