[blfs-support] Using and Configuring Sudo

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Thu Nov 21 10:45:01 PST 2013

This is the first time I have setup and configured 'sudo' in an LFS
build.  I'm trying to learn this so that if I add an account for someone
besides me I can set it up.

I want to be able to run halt, shutdown and reboot without invoking sudo
or su and without using a password.  I know I can do this by adding
/sbin to my LFS path, but that would forestall any learning I'm trying
to do.

I think that the first thing I must do is add aliases to either .bashrc
or .bash_profile for 'sudo reboot' et al.  Once I figure out which file
to put that in I think it's just a matter of

alias=<something> <comand>

Then I need to edit the line "dan ALL=(ALL) ALL" in /etc/sudoers to read:

dan ALL=(ALL) ALL:NOPASSWD /sbin/halt,/sbin/shutdown,/sbin/reboot

Am I on the right track?

Thanks,
Dan