[blfs-support] lsb_release-1.4

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 08:25:31 PST 2013

Dan McGhee wrote:
> I would like to have more about this.  I understand what "info about the
> Linux Standards Base" means, but what does this script actually
> accomplish and how is the info used?  Does this script in any way relate
> to the link /lib/lsb to /lib/services/ ?  I also noticed "lsb" appears
> quite a bit in the boot scripts.  How does all this fit together?

It's used by applications, usually proprietary, that install in
accordance with lsb procedures.  In my case, I use it in my scripts:

echo "`date` $tarball" >> /usr/src/packages-$(lsb_release -r|cut -f2).log

This adds date an tarball to a file with a name like

/usr/src/packages-SVN-20131116.log

Where 'lsb_release -r' is "Release:        LFS-SVN-20131116"

Most users probably don't need lsb_release, but may want to add it to be
completely lsb compliant.

   -- Bruce