[blfs-support] Boot Failure with wlan0 firmware

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Mon Nov 18 18:36:03 PST 2013

On 11/18/2013 08:12 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 07:27:06PM -0600, Dan McGhee wrote:
>> You and Bruce are going to have to buy new hardware to check out all of
>> this EFI stuff.  :)
>   -ENOSPACE : I bought a new low-end AMD A4 in the spring (for Win 7),
> all four positions on my KVM switch are occupied (that box, AMD
> Phonon, low-end Sandy Bridge, ppc64).
Since you've got Win 7, does that box have EFI firmware?  I think I
remember from my reading that machines loaded with Win 7 did have EFI
firmware and a GPT partition, but they we're configured like an
MSDOS-BIOS machine.  If my memory serves me correctly, you can play with
this EFI stuff.  You'll have to configure those other three things to
efi though--aha! therein lies the rub!  Ooooops.  And add your own EFI
partition.  (chuckle, chuckle)

>> So that I don't have to advertise my "rustiness" with a subject line on
>> the list, I've got a really noob question.  I can't dredge up the answer
>> from the "grey cells."  What are the "key presses" to switch between
>> terminals in a non-graphic environment?  I think ALT-CTRL-F[1-6] takes
>> you to different run levels, but what about terminals?  Uhoh.  I think I
>> just remembered something.  Am I thinking of ALT-CTRL-F[1-4]?
>>
>   Alt-F[1-6] for terminals.  I've not _seen_ runlevel switching like
> that, and on icewm I use Alt-Ctrl-Fn to get back to a tty (Alt-F7 to
> return to xorg), Alt-F[1-4] in icewm switches desktops.
>
>   ĸen
Aaah, that's it!  Maybe what I'm remembering is an Xorg thing.  I'll
re-learn that when it's installed.

And with the kernel options stuff--I added the line:

options  root=/dev/sda2 video=800x600 ro

to the config file for LFS in 'gummiboot' and I got extremely readable
messages on boot.

So, I've learned four new things and refreshed one old thing working
withs you tonight, Ken.  Thanks.

Dan