[blfs-support] Boot Failure with wlan0 firmware

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Mon Nov 18 17:27:06 PST 2013

On 11/18/2013 06:51 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 06:25:23PM -0600, Dan McGhee wrote:
>> There are still a couple of "script" things I need to chase: 1) I start
>> getting the pretty, green OK's then the screen goes dark for a count of
>> at least 1-2-3 then I get mixed kernel ans "script" messages but in a
>> much, much smaller font.  And I think there's something with dhcpcd.  At
>> least now I don't have to "raise eyebrows" trying to run some of the
>> start up scripts in chroot.  :)
>>
>   I'm guessing the tiny font has something to do with framebuffer
> consoles.  I don't know what size of console font you use, nor what
> size your screen is, but perhaps enabling something in the
> CONFIG_FONT_SUPPORT area of the kernel (with one or more of the
> fonts), OR adding something like "video=1024x768" (or 800x600, or
> whatever) to the boot args mught help.  On one of my boxes I pass
> that video=1024x768, between 'root=' and 'ro', so that I can read
> an 8x16 font on a 1600x1200 screen (the other desktops use 12x22,
> as does my netbook if I want to read things comfortably)
This is what Bruce was talking about in another thread regarding using
the kernel to boot from the EFI partition.  If I could use GRUB for
this, I would change my grub.cfg file right now and test. But to try
this.....

I didn't stop and delete anything I wrote because I wanted to show my
train of thought.  I checked the 'gummiboot' man page.  Each boot option
has a configuration file on the EFI partition.  I had forgotten that you
can pass kernel boot options in that file. That's not possible using
efibootmgr.  So maybe 'gummiboot' is the way to go.  It's easier and
lighter weight than rEFInd and more versatile than efibootmgr.

I'm glad I thought of that.  I'm tired of configuring kernels.  Have
done eight since Friday.  yuk.

You and Bruce are going to have to buy new hardware to check out all of
this EFI stuff.  :)
> For dhcpcd I have no suggestions - I use dhclient.  Similarly, no
> suggestions if it is actually a problem in bringing up the wifi in
> userspace.

I used dhclient a few years ago in my CLFS build and I had no problems.
I forgot about that and went right to dhcpcd this time. In trying to
learn about it, even the author says it's really finicky and harder to
use.  It's just a configuration issue right now and I'll get it figured
out--or get frustrated and go to dhclient.  :)

So that I don't have to advertise my "rustiness" with a subject line on
the list, I've got a really noob question.  I can't dredge up the answer
from the "grey cells."  What are the "key presses" to switch between
terminals in a non-graphic environment?  I think ALT-CTRL-F[1-6] takes
you to different run levels, but what about terminals?  Uhoh.  I think I
just remembered something.  Am I thinking of ALT-CTRL-F[1-4]?

Thanks,
Dan