[blfs-support] Boot Failure with wlan0 firmware

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Mon Nov 18 16:25:23 PST 2013

On 11/18/2013 01:18 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 11:56:14AM -0600, Dan McGhee wrote:
>> I got the following messages on boot:
>>
>> Starting wpa_supplicant on the wlan0 interface
>> <then shifted to kernel messages>
>> ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00 lib_request_ firmware: Info-loading firmware file
>> 'rt329.bin' (could have been 3290)
>> ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error-Failed to request Firmware
>>
>   This is key.  Most recent firmware is NOT supplied with the kernel
> (license issues).  Usually, things don't work without the firmware.
>
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/
>
>   If you look down there, you will see rt3290.bin, and if you click
> on 'plain' in a graphical brower you can put it in /lib/firmware [ so
> that future kernel versions will also be able to find it ].
>
>   If it is anythong like recent radeon graphics chips, you might have
> to repeat the process for subsequent firmware blobs.
>
>   I might have misunderstood a few of the datails, but this is what I
> currently do on my newest radeon machine [ the one that needs loads
> of blobs ] n the kernel .config-
>
> CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
> CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y
> # CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL is not set
> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/BTC_rlc.bin radeon/ARUBA_me.bin
> radeon/ARUBA_pfp.bin radeon/ARUBA_rlc.bin radeon/TAHITI_uvd.bin
> rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw"
> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"
> CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER=y
>
>   From memory, the help on the firmware settings is a bit confusing
> and with this setup it pulls the firmware in near the end of the
> kernel compile - at which point any missing firmware becomes
> apparent.
>
>   My firmware is in directories (radeon/, rtl_nic/) because that is
> conventional for those particular blobs.  For you, I guess you can put
> rt3290.bin into /lib/firmware and use
> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="rt3290.bin".
>
>   Technically, you could put it/them anywhere that is readable at
> kernel compile time, but /lib/firmware is the common choice.
>
>   After you set it in menuconfig and save the config, take a look at
> it to confirm that the entries look correct.  In particular,
> /lib/firmware unless you want to use lib/firmware in the kernel tree
> and to have to reload that every time you untar the kernel source.
>
> ĸen
Worked like a charm!  Thanks, Ken.

rt3290.bin to /lib/firmware with the CONFIG statements as you
indicated.  I just booted into my brand-new, shiny LFS system.  And from
efi no less.  :) :)

There are still a couple of "script" things I need to chase: 1) I start
getting the pretty, green OK's then the screen goes dark for a count of
at least 1-2-3 then I get mixed kernel ans "script" messages but in a
much, much smaller font.  And I think there's something with dhcpcd.  At
least now I don't have to "raise eyebrows" trying to run some of the
start up scripts in chroot.  :)

Dan