[blfs-support] Boot Failure with wlan0 firmware

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 18 11:18:20 PST 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 11:56:14AM -0600, Dan McGhee wrote:

> I got the following messages on boot:
>
> Starting wpa_supplicant on the wlan0 interface
> <then shifted to kernel messages>
> ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00 lib_request_ firmware: Info-loading firmware file
> 'rt329.bin' (could have been 3290)
> ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error-Failed to request Firmware

 This is key.  Most recent firmware is NOT supplied with the kernel
(license issues).  Usually, things don't work without the firmware.

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/

 If you look down there, you will see rt3290.bin, and if you click
on 'plain' in a graphical brower you can put it in /lib/firmware [ so
that future kernel versions will also be able to find it ].

 If it is anythong like recent radeon graphics chips, you might have
to repeat the process for subsequent firmware blobs.

 I might have misunderstood a few of the datails, but this is what I
currently do on my newest radeon machine [ the one that needs loads
of blobs ] n the kernel .config-

CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y
# CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL is not set
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/BTC_rlc.bin radeon/ARUBA_me.bin
radeon/ARUBA_pfp.bin radeon/ARUBA_rlc.bin radeon/TAHITI_uvd.bin
rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw"
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"
CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER=y

 From memory, the help on the firmware settings is a bit confusing
and with this setup it pulls the firmware in near the end of the
kernel compile - at which point any missing firmware becomes
apparent.

 My firmware is in directories (radeon/, rtl_nic/) because that is
conventional for those particular blobs.  For you, I guess you can put
rt3290.bin into /lib/firmware and use
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="rt3290.bin".

 Technically, you could put it/them anywhere that is readable at
kernel compile time, but /lib/firmware is the common choice.

 After you set it in menuconfig and save the config, take a look at
it to confirm that the entries look correct.  In particular,
/lib/firmware unless you want to use lib/firmware in the kernel tree
and to have to reload that every time you untar the kernel source.

ĸen