[blfs-support] Boot Failure with wlan0 firmware

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Mon Nov 18 10:55:21 PST 2013

On 11/18/2013 12:12 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Dan McGhee wrote:
>>
>> I see two options:
>>
>> 1. Reconfigure the kernel with CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=n, but I've
>> don't ever remember having to do that.
>> 2. Edit ifconfig files so that this doesn't happen on boot and try to
>> figure it out.
>>
>> Comments?  Other options?
> When trying to figure out this type of thing, first eliminate the
> scripts.  Get it working manually, then address the scripts.
>
> I don't have a wireless system to check right now, but IIRC, you first
> want to bring up wireless-tools.  Does 'iwlist scan' give you any usable
> info?  Can you connect?  I don't remember the sequence I used with
> wpa_supplication and wireless-tools, but once that is up either dhcp or
> a static address is done the same as a wired connection.
Thanks, Bruce. That seems to be the most direct way to go. The card is
both "wireless" and "bluetooth" and I'm not sure which driver is which
in the kernel configuration. What is apparently the firmware file, the
rt3290.bin the kernel message referenced does not exist either on my LFS
or my Ubuntu partition. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to build a
module, but wireless-tools should be able to help me out. I had
forgotten about it. I didn't want to have to guess at one configuration
option, reconfigure the kernel, fail to boot and need to reconfigure again.

Thanks again.

Dan