[blfs-support] Boot Failure with wlan0 firmware

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 10:12:13 PST 2013

Dan McGhee wrote:
> This is one of those things between LFS and BLFS, but since I've been
> flooding the LFS list I thought I'd go here with this one even though
> most who monitor here monitor the LFS list.  This also involves wireless
> and LFS doesn't do that.
>
> I think this is a driver and module situation, but I wanted to ask just
> to make sure whether or not I need to reconfigure my kernel. Using
> LFS-7.4 build and a few packages from BLFS-SVN.
>
> I got the following messages on boot:
>
> Starting wpa_supplicant on the wlan0 interface
> <then shifted to kernel messages>
> ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00 lib_request_ firmware: Info-loading firmware file
> 'rt329.bin' (could have been 3290)
> ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error-Failed to request Firmware
>
> This sequence is repeated three times followed by a line of ....... in
> red (assuming this comes from bootscripts) and then the system tries to
> start dhcpd and stalls.
>
> The rt2x00 and rt329(0 ?) are part of my wireless driver system. The
> options were marked "experimental" in the configuration menu.  Here are
> the configuration options that I have:
>
>> CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
>> CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
>> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE=""
>> CONFIG_HOSTAP_FIRMWARE=y
>> CONFIG_HOSTAP_FIRMWARE_NVRAM=y
>> CONFIG_RT2X00_LIB_FIRMWARE=y
>> CONFIG_CYPRESS_FIRMWARE=m
>> CONFIG_DRM_LOAD_EDID_FIRMWARE=y
>> CONFIG_FIRMWARE_EDID=y
>> CONFIG_FIRMWARE_MEMMAP=y
> and
>> CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT3290=y
> and further for the rt2800
>> CONFIG_RT2800PCI=m
>> CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT33XX=y
>> CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT35XX=y
>> CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT53XX=y
>> CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT3290=y
>> CONFIG_RT2800USB=m
>> CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT33XX=y
>> CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT35XX=y
>> CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT53XX=y
>> # CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT55XX is not set
>> CONFIG_RT2800USB_UNKNOWN=y
>> CONFIG_RT2800_LIB=m
> and using <find> for *rt2800* yielded
>
>> /mnt/lfs/lib/modules/3.10.10/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2800usb.ko
>> /mnt/lfs/lib/modules/3.10.10/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2800pci.ko
>> /mnt/lfs/lib/modules/3.10.10/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2800lib.ko
>
> I see two options:
>
> 1. Reconfigure the kernel with CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=n, but I've
> don't ever remember having to do that.
> 2. Edit ifconfig files so that this doesn't happen on boot and try to
> figure it out.
>
> Comments?  Other options?

When trying to figure out this type of thing, first eliminate the
scripts.  Get it working manually, then address the scripts.

I don't have a wireless system to check right now, but IIRC, you first
want to bring up wireless-tools.  Does 'iwlist scan' give you any usable
info?  Can you connect?  I don't remember the sequence I used with
wpa_supplication and wireless-tools, but once that is up either dhcp or
a static address is done the same as a wired connection.

   -- Bruce