[blfs-support] Boot Failure with wlan0 firmware

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Mon Nov 18 09:56:14 PST 2013

This is one of those things between LFS and BLFS, but since I've been
flooding the LFS list I thought I'd go here with this one even though
most who monitor here monitor the LFS list.  This also involves wireless
and LFS doesn't do that.

I think this is a driver and module situation, but I wanted to ask just
to make sure whether or not I need to reconfigure my kernel. Using
LFS-7.4 build and a few packages from BLFS-SVN.

I got the following messages on boot:

Starting wpa_supplicant on the wlan0 interface
<then shifted to kernel messages>
ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00 lib_request_ firmware: Info-loading firmware file
'rt329.bin' (could have been 3290)
ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error-Failed to request Firmware

This sequence is repeated three times followed by a line of ....... in
red (assuming this comes from bootscripts) and then the system tries to
start dhcpd and stalls.

The rt2x00 and rt329(0 ?) are part of my wireless driver system. The
options were marked "experimental" in the configuration menu.  Here are
the configuration options that I have:

> CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
> CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE=""
> CONFIG_HOSTAP_FIRMWARE=y
> CONFIG_HOSTAP_FIRMWARE_NVRAM=y
> CONFIG_RT2X00_LIB_FIRMWARE=y
> CONFIG_CYPRESS_FIRMWARE=m
> CONFIG_DRM_LOAD_EDID_FIRMWARE=y
> CONFIG_FIRMWARE_EDID=y
> CONFIG_FIRMWARE_MEMMAP=y
and
> CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT3290=y
and further for the rt2800
> CONFIG_RT2800PCI=m
> CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT33XX=y
> CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT35XX=y
> CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT53XX=y
> CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT3290=y
> CONFIG_RT2800USB=m
> CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT33XX=y
> CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT35XX=y
> CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT53XX=y
> # CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT55XX is not set
> CONFIG_RT2800USB_UNKNOWN=y
> CONFIG_RT2800_LIB=m
and using <find> for *rt2800* yielded

> /mnt/lfs/lib/modules/3.10.10/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2800usb.ko
> /mnt/lfs/lib/modules/3.10.10/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2800pci.ko
> /mnt/lfs/lib/modules/3.10.10/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2800lib.ko

I see two options:

1. Reconfigure the kernel with CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=n, but I've
don't ever remember having to do that.
2. Edit ifconfig files so that this doesn't happen on boot and try to
figure it out.

Comments?  Other options?

As always, I greatly appreciate any and all pointers.

Thanks,
Dan