[blfs-support] pppd / rp-pppoe and such

Thomas Trepl thomas at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Nov 17 12:47:39 PST 2013

Am Freitag, 15. November 2013, 18:30:30 schrieb akhiezer:
> > From: Thomas Trepl <thomas at linuxfromscratch.org>
> > To: blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org
> > Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 12:46:04 +0100
> > Subject: [blfs-support] pppd / rp-pppoe and such
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > call me dump but I'm struggeling in setup ADSL for my new LFS. Long time
> > ago, we're using the pppd and rp-pppoe packages to do so but none of them
> > remains in then book. Maybe i'm blind but i cannot find anything about
> > setting up pppoe.
> > I found a mailing list entry of Alexander somewhere in 2007 that rp-pppoe
> > isn't required anylonger and he pointed to
> > http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/PPP but this wiki also refers
> > pppd in the PPPoE section but the ppp-2.4.5 package isn't in the book too.
> >
> > So, can you give me a hint how is the BLFS way to setup ADSL-connections?
> > Arch is still using rp-pppoe (or at least pppd) - whats wrong with it
> > that we not have it in BLFS?
> >
> > --
> > Thomas
>
> Hello Thomas,
>
> Did you get this working yet? (Have only just seen your message - catching
> up).
>
> We run rp-pppoe here, for fibre/vdsl, atop ppp, and on (still) a 2.6.37.x
> kernel.
>
> (It runs _very_ reliably; but then, the hardware infrastructure and upstream
> is good-quality. Overall, for this and some other purposes, we
> needed/wanted more control and more powerful hardware, than what common
> off-the-shelf stuff has (even with the likes of dd-wrt &c installed)).
>
> (I would agree with the 'surprise' that it's not still in blfs: but then,
> I'm always acutely aware that it's not my time that would be taken up in
> maintaining it there.)
>

> rgds,
>
> akhiezer

Hi akhiezer,

yes, its running. I prepared my gateway/router/firewall/webserver-machine with
a clean LFS after two years having ArchLinux on it. I got trouble to get the
printing service work proper. Doubt that it was Arch's fault but I took this
as a reason to restart using LFS. Furthermore, as LFS seems to be one of the
very rare distros which do not run for that systemd stuff, it was the way to go
for me. But the arrogant systemd folks and their crappy userspace tools like
journalctl is another story.

The only thing to get pppoe working was do install "ppp-2.4.5" and have the
kernel configured proper. The ppp_generic module needs to be added to the
/etc/sysconfig/modules file. Unfortunatly, I'm currently not in the position to
write a howto/wiki/blfs-page to show every single detail. I configured my
system to get pppoe running but i missed to precisely log what I have done for
it. The old pages about ppp were very helpful and mostly still valid (at least
for pppoe, the other stuff i cannot verify).
Using the /etc/ppp/ip-up script for updating a public DNS for my machine works
perfectly. My ISP kicks me out every 24h but reenabling the connection and
with this, updating the DNS with the new IP works smoothly.

I'd vote for re-adding ppp to the book as pppoe seems to be one of the most
used type of connection to the internet if not using a DSL-router box. I
understand that maintaining the ppp page is not quite trivial as ppp can be
used for much more connection types than only ADSL. But as long as the book
refers to ppp as a mayor type of connection (see chapter 14) a page should be
in to show how to set it up.
I'd be happy to help verifying the instructions than.

--
Thomas