[blfs-support] pppd / rp-pppoe and such

akhiezer lfs65 at cruziero.com
Fri Nov 15 10:30:30 PST 2013

> From: Thomas Trepl <thomas at linuxfromscratch.org>
> To: blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org
> Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 12:46:04 +0100
> Subject: [blfs-support] pppd / rp-pppoe and such
>
> Hi all,
>
> call me dump but I'm struggeling in setup ADSL for my new LFS. Long time ago,
> we're using the pppd and rp-pppoe packages to do so but none of them remains
> in then book. Maybe i'm blind but i cannot find anything about setting up
> pppoe.
> I found a mailing list entry of Alexander somewhere in 2007 that rp-pppoe
> isn't required anylonger and he pointed to
> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/PPP but this wiki also refers to
> pppd in the PPPoE section but the ppp-2.4.5 package isn't in the book too.
>
> So, can you give me a hint how is the BLFS way to setup ADSL-connections? Arch
> is still using rp-pppoe (or at least pppd) - whats wrong with it that we not
> have it in BLFS?
>
> --
> Thomas
> --

Hello Thomas,

Did you get this working yet? (Have only just seen your message - catching up).

We run rp-pppoe here, for fibre/vdsl, atop ppp, and on (still) a 2.6.37.x kernel.

(It runs _very_ reliably; but then, the hardware infrastructure and upstream is
good-quality. Overall, for this and some other purposes, we needed/wanted more
control and more powerful hardware, than what common off-the-shelf stuff has
(even with the likes of dd-wrt &c installed)).

(I would agree with the 'surprise' that it's not still in blfs: but then, I'm
always acutely aware that it's not my time that would be taken up in maintaining
it there.)

rgds,

akhiezer