[blfs-support] hcron

akhiezer lfs65 at cruziero.com
Mon Nov 11 08:51:00 PST 2013

> Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 12:49:02 +0000
> From: Richard Melville <richard.melville69 at googlemail.com>
> To: blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org
> Subject: [blfs-support] hcron
>
> Has anybody had any experience of hcron?
>
> http://code.google.com/p/hcron/
>
> It looks like a good (and simpler?) alternative to Fcron.
>
> Richard

Not used hcron. Read the first page of the link: it seems like it doesn't buy
you very much: it's dead simple to git-track a similar job-spec plus a simple
awk/sh/lex-yacc program to generate and distribute the required normal-format
cron-specs.

Looks like they're actually maybe trying to solve the wider-picture more-
general issue of configuration-tracking, rather than any cron-specific stuff.
It's quite easy to git-track (or similar rcs) os-config, and for multiple
machines, from a single location. ((Folks would do well to really learn current
tools, and how to combine them, rather than endlessly try swap-outs for a
magic bullet.))

Coming back to cron: I could recommend 'dcron' - has been main cron in slackware
for ages; originated (iirc) as a 'saner', more-lightweight, version of vixie-cron
(the same vixie as in bind (iirc-o(tto)mh); the ''complexity'' of vixie-cron
reminds me of the ''complexity'' of bind, & vice-versa).

hth,

akh