[blfs-support] CUPS and Mavericks

Walter P. Little walterplittle at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 18:50:51 PST 2013

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 11:13:30PM +0100, Pol Vangheluwe wrote:
> > I use an Apple PowerPC 7500 as print server on my local network (IPP).
>  It runs LFS-6.8 (I know - a bit old…) with CUPS-1.4.5.
> > I could print without any problem from my iMac under OSX 10.8 (Mountain
> Lion) but this is not the case anymore since I upgraded the iMac to OSX
> 10.9 (Mavericks).
> > There are no error messages, not on the client nor on the server.  The
> server reports the job as “finished”, but the number of pages is always
> “unknown”.  The printer itself (an Epson Stylus Color 740 with USB
> connection) does not move at all.
> > I have another iMac, running OSX 10.4 (Tiger) that still can print
> without any problem, so I think that my LFS system is still OK.
> > Mavericks has CUPS-1.7.0 on-board.  Is it possible that there is an
> incompatibility between a CUPS-1.4.5 server and a CUPS-1.7.0 client?
> > And if so, is it possible to upgrade the CUPS system on my LFS-6.8
> system?
> >
> > pvg
> >

>  I didn't realise that osx on ppc was still upgradeable!

It's not. 10.6 and up has been Intel only.  I think the OP is talking about
two computers - an old (system 7 era) PPC that is running Linux instead of
Mac OS (a great idea - I've got a similar vintage PowerMac that I can't
bear to part with but is pretty much useless to me as a Mac)... and a more
recent Intel iMac.