[blfs-support] CUPS and Mavericks

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Sun Nov 10 17:24:29 PST 2013

Em 10-11-2013 19:13, Pol Vangheluwe escreveu:
> I use an Apple PowerPC 7500 as print server on my local network (IPP).
>  It runs LFS-6.8 (I know - a bit old…) with CUPS-1.4.5.
> I could print without any problem from my iMac under OSX 10.8 (Mountain
> Lion) but this is not the case anymore since I upgraded the iMac to OSX
> 10.9 (Mavericks).
> There are no error messages, not on the client nor on the server.  The
> server reports the job as “finished”, but the number of pages is always
> “unknown”.  The printer itself (an Epson Stylus Color 740 with USB
> connection) does not move at all.
> I have another iMac, running OSX 10.4 (Tiger) that still can print
> without any problem, so I think that my LFS system is still OK.
> Mavericks has CUPS-1.7.0 on-board.  Is it possible that there is an
> incompatibility between a CUPS-1.4.5 server and a CUPS-1.7.0 client?
> And if so, is it possible to upgrade the CUPS system on my LFS-6.8 system?

Until today, I had a problem with cups-1.6.3 and was using 1.6.1. After
your post, decided to test 1.7.0 and it works. So, Thanks for your post.

My server is Lubuntu 12.04 LTS. My client, BLFS-7.4.

http://osdir.com/ml/blfs-dev/2013-09/msg00122.html

I have

LUbuntuHP:~$ dpkg -l cups
||/ Nome           Versão        Descrição
ii  cups           1.5.3-0ubuntu8 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server

So, I suggest you try 1.5.3 in LFS-6.8.

I also changed a switch (was using --disable-gnutls --enable-openssl)
and have now avahi installed.

--
[]s,
Fernando