[blfs-support] CUPS and Mavericks

Pol Vangheluwe pol.vangheluwe at belgacom.net
Sun Nov 10 14:13:30 PST 2013

I use an Apple PowerPC 7500 as print server on my local network (IPP).  It runs LFS-6.8 (I know - a bit old…) with CUPS-1.4.5.
I could print without any problem from my iMac under OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion) but this is not the case anymore since I upgraded the iMac to OSX 10.9 (Mavericks).
There are no error messages, not on the client nor on the server.  The server reports the job as “finished”, but the number of pages is always “unknown”.  The printer itself (an Epson Stylus Color 740 with USB connection) does not move at all.
I have another iMac, running OSX 10.4 (Tiger) that still can print without any problem, so I think that my LFS system is still OK.
Mavericks has CUPS-1.7.0 on-board.  Is it possible that there is an incompatibility between a CUPS-1.4.5 server and a CUPS-1.7.0 client?
And if so, is it possible to upgrade the CUPS system on my LFS-6.8 system?

pvg