[blfs-support] Xorg-7.7 Does not Detect Input Devices on 64-bit Build

John Frankish j-frankish at slb.com
Wed Nov 6 02:36:07 PST 2013

> > How would I go about using strace to check where the xorg-server is
> looking for 10-evdev.conf?
> >

>  As a high-level overview : install strace [ link from the Other Programming
> Tools page at the end of the main Programming chapter, just before java ] -
> there is a patch in patches.  Then man strace for the semantics.  Then strace
> startx.  Please note that I said 'maybe' - I'm not sure if it will be useful.
>
>  When/if you get an output file, open it in view or less and look for
> xorg.conf.d : the individual filenames aren't important, anything ending in
> .conf will be read, so it isn't specifically _looking_ for 10-evdev.conf, but it
> should read it if it finds it.
>
>  If you do get an output file, I suppose that looking for evdev.conf in it should
> be the first step, just in case it does find it but takes a dislike to it.

Using "strace -o log_file Xorg -nolisten tcp &", Xorg beings to start up, but then stops with the error:

xf86OpenConsole cannot open virtual console2 (permission denied)

Examining the log file up to that point shows that "10-evdev.conf" is found and parsed and libudev is found.

Is there a way to use strace on Xorg without resorting to running it as root?

Thanks
John