[blfs-support] Comment/Question/Flame on "probably the most used admin tool", 'find'

alex lupu alupu01 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 12:36:49 PST 2013

I'm saddened that after all these years there's apparently no easy way to
do something like (expressed in Artificial Intelligence :):
"Find files modified (accessed, created) in a range of time (in minutes)"
"After but Before a time in minutes ago".

Most people with PhD's in "find", claim you cannot create something _simple_
like,

find ... -mmin -<beginofrange> -mmin +<endofrange> ...

That despite of a voluminous, feature-rich and extremely detailed
documentation and/or blogs.
Despite various available ands, ors and the like, one can sprinkle around.
Despite the clear explanations that the "-" means "after ... ago" and
"+" means "before ... ago"  (or is it the other way around?  :).
Despite the lack of warning that the "-" and "+" constructs do not work
together.  Apparently one at a time

You'd think that after the so called "old" find and the "stable" one (since
2009) something like
find ... -mmin -240 [-a/-o/whatnot] -mmin +120 ...
would work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-- Alex

PS.  I _am_ aware of more complicated solutions, with/without 'find'.