[blfs-support] Wifi Operations--Again

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Sun Nov 3 18:26:41 PST 2013

On 11/03/2013 07:59 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 03, 2013 at 09:47:07PM -0300, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
>> There is one thing I am trying to understand. Forgive-me if I am missing
>> something.
>>
>> Is it so different with wifi?
>>
>> In my case there is no wifi. But in chroot I can use the network as is
>> set by the host, no need to try setting up the network in chroot:
>>
>   Indeed.  I don't know if Dan has already installed wget in chroot,
> which is partly why I suggested downloading on the host.  The other
> part of 'partly' is that my own /sources is an nfs mount [ download
> once, build on one or more of my machines ].
That's next on my list, Ken.  In fact I think I already have the package.

>   What Dan seems to want to do differently is to *configure* the wifi
> in chroot.
>
>   With wired ethernet, we have bootscripts which work.  With wifi,
> people will have to work out how to set this up.  Distros mostly use
> NetworkManager - my only use of wifi on a pc is my netbook, which
> uses NM [ and what a pain it is - it decided the passphrase for my
> router had changed, now I have to type it in every time it wakes up].
That's precisely what I wanted to do, Ken.  I might be way, way out in
left field, but "in theory" the only difference between a wired
connection, let's call the device eth0, and an unwired one, wlan0, is
the way the device transmits and receives information. Each have a
network "configuration file," ifconfig.{eth0,wlan0}, each have a
"service," static or dhc*, and each have to access something like a
router. If the router, I don't know what you call it with a wired
connection, or access point, is secured, then each device needs a
password, pass_key_phrase, for it.  My evaluation is that the
bootscripts work on wifi also.  Oooooops.  Forgot!  Not in LFS.  You get
the /etc/sysconfig files for wifi in BLFS.  So after all that
explanation, I must agree with you.  :)

But again, in theory, because of what I said, if eth0 works, so should
wlan0.  Yes, I was trying in chroot, but I don't think it's possible.
Or as you said, Ken, really hard.  The learning curve far outweighs the
gain.  The good new is that I think everything will be fine when I can
boot my shiny new LFS build.  The kernel messages were:

associating with [MAC address]
authenticating
link becomes ready
de-authenticating

It's that last message and the googling I did today that tells me there
is something in Ubuntu which gets in the way of this--the articles I
read included eth0 and wlan0, they acted the same.  I definitely don't
want to become an Ubuntu guru, so I'm just going to wait until I boot to
get the wifi working.  I'll do most of my building until I get Xorg
installed in chroot.

Fernando, I'm mystified by what you can do.  I tried.  I can't. Maybe
there is a fundamental difference between wired and unwired.

Thanks to both of you.
Dan