[blfs-support] Wifi Operations--Again

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Sun Nov 3 16:13:25 PST 2013

On 11/03/2013 05:42 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 03, 2013 at 05:16:23PM -0600, Dan McGhee wrote:
>> First question, does anyone know if it's even possible to do this in
>> chroot?  I have never had much luck building BLFS packages in a non X
>> situation.  Therefore, it's easier for me to build in chroot until Xorg
>> is installed.  Yes, I can use the host system to get packages and such,
>> but it would be more convenient if I could do this in chroot.  So
>> knowing if this is even possible in chroot is important.  What I know
>> right now is that I can do anything but get past my router in chroot.
>> (I also know that if I try to do this with wlan0 connected to my network
>> in the host system, I must reboot my laptop to clear whatever I've done
>> because I can't use the connection.)
>>
>   No idea if it is possible, but configuring the network in chroot
> sounds *hard*.  What's the problem with working out what you want to
> build, downloading on the host, and then running your scripts in
> chroot ?
There's nothing wrong with it and that's what I have done in the past.
I just thought I'd try something different this time. Occam's razor
again.  The simplest solution is more than likely the best.  :)

>   When you come to boot it, all manner of things can go wrong.
> Perhaps what you have done so far isn't sufficient, or maybe it's
> just the host's setup interfering with the chroot attempt.  If it
> was my machine, I'd try to boot at an early stage, and try to fix
> any problems (perhaps by going back to chroot) until it did actually
> boot with connectivity.  After that was working, I'd probably go back
> to chroot to build both X and a desktop browser of choice.
Again, this is my experience and what I have done.
>   Actually, if at all possible I'd use a wired network while
> building (faster downloads) and when first booting.
In my house it is possible. But I don't have a 20 ft cable.  :)

Thanks, Ken.

Dan