[blfs-support] Wifi Operations--Again

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Sun Nov 3 15:16:23 PST 2013

I was discussing this on the LFS-support list because I'm trying to do
it in chroot.  If actually bringing up a wireless card is possible in
chroot, then I'm in a dhcpd and wpa_supplicant situation.

First question, does anyone know if it's even possible to do this in
chroot?  I have never had much luck building BLFS packages in a non X
situation.  Therefore, it's easier for me to build in chroot until Xorg
is installed.  Yes, I can use the host system to get packages and such,
but it would be more convenient if I could do this in chroot.  So
knowing if this is even possible in chroot is important.  What I know
right now is that I can do anything but get past my router in chroot.
(I also know that if I try to do this with wlan0 connected to my network
in the host system, I must reboot my laptop to clear whatever I've done
because I can't use the connection.)

I've used the configuration files generated and created in the dhcpcd
and wpa_supplicant sections of the BLFS book.

What happens is that wlan0 authenticates and then immediately
de-authenticates and disconnects.  In this instance the kernel sends
notification on an "RFKILL."  There is also a message: "wlan0
deauthenticating from [router MAC address] by local choice (reason 3)."
Googling on that error seems to indicate something in software
applications in Ubuntu, Debian and Open SUSE.  I use Ubuntu, so this may
be a problem until I can boot into LFS--or I can go to Slackware :)

One thing I did discover, though.  I don't even know if it's important.
I know that the bootscripts were completely re-written three years ago.
I think that one of the changes was to put wpa_supplicant.conf in
/etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant-wifi0.conf. The dhcpcd hook script
10-wpa_supplicant.sh looks for /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.  The BLFS wiki
for Wireless Tools references the same.

My question here is twofold.  Has anyone seen this deauthenticating
before and is this even possible in chroot?  I'm at the point now that I
think I should just complete LFS--configure the kernel and install
GRUB--and see if I can get my network up after that.  Right now I just
can't say where the problem is unless someone here can give me any pointers.

I looked in the BLFS support archives and found a similar question I had
three years ago.  Couldn't get it resolved.  I don't remember if I was
trying it in chroot or after I had booted into LFS.  The only difference
was that I was using dhclient instead of dhcpcd and trying to do the
configuration with wireless tools and not wpa_supplicant.

Thanks,
Dan