[blfs-support] Xorg-7.7 Does not Detect Input Devices on 64-bit Build

John Frankish j-frankish at slb.com
Sat Nov 2 03:54:12 PDT 2013

> > Ref: Beyond Linux From Scratch - Version 2013-11-01 Part VI. X + Window  Managers
> >
> > I built Xorg-7.7 in the same way on the same machine in both 32-bit and  64-bit versions.
> >
> > The 32-bit version works without problems, but the 64-bit version does not
> > seem to detect the keyboard/mouse. After issuing the "startx" command, the
> > x-window desktop appears, but the mouse and keyboard are unresponsive and the
> > only way out is to turn the power off.
> >
> > By symlinking the Xorg.0.log to permanent storage and/or using ssh from
> > another machine, I managed to get the Xorg.0.log (it was identical in both
> > cases), but it doesn't appear to give many clues (see below).
> >
> > Any troubleshooting pointers would be appreciated.
> >
> Do you have somthing like:
> [    25.470] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
> in the log?
> If not, It might be that you forgot to compile the evdev driver. (see Xorg drivers page).

No, I don't have anything like LoadModule: "evdev", but the evdev driver is there at:

/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so

Note that the intel driver is loaded from:

/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so

Is there a way to force Xorg to use the old-style mouse/keyboard drivers rather than evdev?

Regards
John