[blfs-support] pppd / rp-pppoe and such

Igor Živković contact at igor-zivkovic.from.hr
Fri Nov 1 04:58:47 PDT 2013

On 2013-11-01 12:46, Thomas Trepl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> call me dump but I'm struggeling in setup ADSL for my new LFS. Long
> time ago,
> we're using the pppd and rp-pppoe packages to do so but none of them
> remains
> in then book. Maybe i'm blind but i cannot find anything about setting
> up
> pppoe.
> I found a mailing list entry of Alexander somewhere in 2007 that
> rp-pppoe
> isn't required anylonger and he pointed to
> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/PPP but this wiki also
> refers to
> pppd in the PPPoE section but the ppp-2.4.5 package isn't in the book
> too.
>
> So, can you give me a hint how is the BLFS way to setup
> ADSL-connections? Arch
> is still using rp-pppoe (or at least pppd) - whats wrong with it that
> we not
> have it in BLFS?

I guess none of BLFS editors uses ADSL and/or there was no enough
interest from users which could explain why it's not in the book. Maybe
this old hint can help you:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/OLD/pppoe.txt

If you manage to get it working, I'd happily add the instructions to the
book.

--
Igor Živković
http://www.slashtime.net/