[blfs-support] Software version

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 29 14:03:37 PST 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 09:30:25PM +0100, Thomas de Roo wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I like your opinion on the following:
> Because Transmission switched from gtk+-2 to gtk*-3, I installed an 
> older version as I don't have gtk+-3 on my box. The same with tigervnc, 
> it switched from autoconf to cmake, what I don't have, so I installed an 
> older version. What would you do? Upgrade to the latest including all 
> dependencies, or install an older version of a piece of software, that 
> better matches your box?
> Thanks for your input...
> Groet,
> Thomas

 For those packages I can't comment - never used either, and without
looking them up I've no idea what they do.  But in general -

1. moan about the change, usually queietly and to myself ;)

2. look to see if I still use the package.

3. look to see if there is an alternative package.

4. question if I feel safe using an old unsupported version - if I
_don't_ feel safe (e.g. web browser "engines"), look to see if there
is long-term support from a distro.  e.g. on my current systems I've
been using webkit(gtk)-1.8 : looks as if ubuntu are notionally
supporting this, so I've moved to 1.8.3 while I consider the

5. take a look at the combinations for my whole desktop.

 At the moment, I'm unhappy with the way gnome is moving and I've at
last experimented with LibreOffice to replace gnumeric and abiword :
on my current machines that is pretty much a done deal (I've now got
enough cpu cycles and big enough disks, it's just a question of
converting ALL the old data).

 I've thought about dropping gtk+-3, but concluded that I need to
keep gucharmap, so I'll be looking to see if I can build it without
the *recommended* gnome dependencies (e.g introspection, gconf,
gtk-doc) - maybe I'll manage, maybe I'll have to go back and add
some or all of them.

 Some things I could revert to older gtk+-2 versions, e.g. gvolwheel,
and I plan to replace gcalctool and evince with the mate versions
without worrying.

 Some of this is just a simple matter of looking for alternatives
and deciding if they work for me, but in the end I need to build the
new desktop packages, give them some basic testing and alter my
build scripts to try out the new things in a fresh build - if the
worst comes to the worst, I'll go back to my current desktop and
evaluate what other choices remain!

 And then I'll probably have to repeat the exercise in a few months
(e.g. moving to parole instead of totem means I'll be using the old
gstreamer versions, in a few months I might decide that is no longer
a viable option for me).

 Summary - whatever you, or I, do comes down to our own comfort
zones and ultimately to how much time we can spend on it.  The bad
side of coming here instead of using $BIGDISTRO is that from time
to time, at moments which aren't totally of our own choosing, we
have to spend a lot of time reviewing our options.  Of course, users
of any distro will get similar moemnts when they have to decide
whether to jump ship to a different distro.

das eine Mal als Tragödie, das andere Mal als Farce

More information about the blfs-support mailing list