[blfs-support] gtk+2 in the book : Makefiles renders as MakefileS for me.

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 28 16:05:17 PST 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 05:19:27PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
[...]
> That's weird.  I am using seamonkey-2.10.1 and do not have the problem.
> I suspect that it is a LANG problem, but I don't use any LANG setting.

 Same thing with LANG=C

 I suspect that seamonkey is less likely to show problems because it
is an old codebase that hte firefox devs discarded.

> Take a look at the html code.  I have  <code
> class="filename">Makefile</code>s in two places.
>
> The css could be an issue because 'code' asks for 'font-family: monospace;'

 Interesting.  Firefox just picks up 'monospace' and I don't see any
overrides for it in conf files.  Arora is happy with monospace.  If I
pick any random monospaced fonts in the firefox preferences it still
shows the problem.

> >   I'm running cairo-1.12.2 with the patch, and fontconfig-2.10.1,
> > also LibreOffice-core-3.6.3.2.  I mention that because fontconfig
> > complains on stderr when I run writer -
>
> I am running cairo-1.12.2, fontconfig-2.9.0, libreoffice-core-3.5.4.2.
>
> > Fontconfig warning:
> > "/usr/lib/libreoffice/share/fonts/truetype/fc_local.conf", line 13:
> > Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not
> > works as expected
>
> When I run writer from the command line, it comes up and when I exit,
> there is no output to terminal so that's normal.  I do have the multiple
> <family> entries in the fc_local.conf file, but that seems to be ignored
> with the older fontconfig.
>
>    -- Bruce

 If I change fc_local.conf to
        <alias binding="same">
          <family>Liberation Sans Narrow</family>
        <!--  <family>Arial Narrow</family> -->
          <default>
          <family>Arial Narrow</family>
          </default>
        </alias>
then fontconfig is happy, but it doesn't affect this (not surprising
I guess - narrow isn't used that often)

 Thanks for the reply, but so far it doesn't seem to rule out any
possibilities for what is wrong :-(

ĸen