[blfs-support] qemu + vinagre

Tobias Gasser lfs at ebp-gasser.ch
Wed Nov 28 14:17:39 PST 2012

Am 28.11.2012 18:35, schrieb Bruce Dubbs:
> I can't help with vinagre as I have never used it, but would like to
> offer an alternative.  You should be able to ssh into the gemu session
> and run a xorg based app over the ssh link.  That's how I normally
> access remote systems.  A virtual system should work the same.

yes. works fine - as soon as i know the ip address.
and i too use ssh to connect to remote systems.

> To me, the advantage of a vnc connection is where two or more users
> access the same screen and can communicate via phone/skype conference.
> However, for a single user, it seems to me that a vnc setup is unneeded
> overhead.

i agree. but:

i want to play with different distributions, most use dynamic ip.

as i want to set up a headless i7 with a fat harddisk in the cellar, vnc
would make life much easier!

with ssh i have 2 points:
1) i have to know the qemu-image ip
2) the ssh-server must be started which is not default with quite a lot
of life-distros.

with vnc i just have to connect to the server-ip with the 590x port,
where the x is known by qemu '-vnc :x'. with ssh i have to look at what
ip my dhcp-server assigns to the qemu-session. not realy a problem, i
can ssh to it...

vnc just needs 2 more packages: gtk-vnc + vinagre
thus disk-overhead is minimal, protocol-overhead i can ignore as i have
1gb network inhouse.

thanks
tobias