[blfs-support] qemu + vinagre

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 09:35:13 PST 2012

Tobias Gasser wrote:

> i have a problem with vinagre.
>
> the base system is lfs develop + blfs. current last friday.
>
> as i don't have any other vnc hosts around, i can't check wether the
> problem i only with qemu.
>

> qemu with '-display sdl -vga std -vnc :1' shows the host in a window.
> connecting with vinagre shows just the top view lines.
>
> as i have 2 windows with the same content (one the qemu vga-output, one
> the vinagre vnc connection) i can see the vnc connection is established.
> moving the mouse i can see the movements in both windows - as long as i
> stay in the topmost 10%. below i don't see anything but a black
> background in the vinagre window.

I can't help with vinagre as I have never used it, but would like to
offer an alternative.  You should be able to ssh into the gemu session
and run a xorg based app over the ssh link.  That's how I normally
access remote systems.  A virtual system should work the same.

To me, the advantage of a vnc connection is where two or more users
access the same screen and can communicate via phone/skype conference.
However, for a single user, it seems to me that a vnc setup is unneeded
overhead.

   -- Bruce