[blfs-support] Problems installing libdrm and mesa in /usr

Ragnar Thomsen rthomsen6 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 10:26:08 PST 2012

On Saturday 17 November 2012 16:59:08 Ken Moffat wrote:
> X features:
>   --x-includes=DIR    X include files are in DIR
>   --x-libraries=DIR   X library files are in DIR
> These options are only used when the X libraries cannot be found by the
> pkg-config utility.
>
>  So, I recommend you look for something like that in the current
> version.

Those options are no longer available for mesa-9.0.1. I managed to fix the
error though, by editing a makefile adding -I/usr/X11/include.

After this I ran into a different error when running make install, where the
linker couldn't find three libraries: X11, Xext and Xfixes.
I fixed this error by adding -L/usr/X11/lib to a relevant makefile.

After this I got mesa built and installed. But compositing was not working,
which I tracked down to the xorg-server not finding the dri drivers which are
now in /usr/lib/dri. By re-installing the xorg-server, it detects the right
location and compositing works.

So it seems (at least on my system) that mesa-9.0.1 doesn't build when
installing in /usr and when X is installed in /usr/X11. Did any of you get
mesa 9 to build properly using the current instructions (when X is installed
in /usr/X11)?If not, the instructions for mesa need to be modified.

-Ragnar-