[blfs-support] Kernel panics when I move drive to another machine

alex lupu alupu01 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 12:42:03 PST 2012

Hello,

In trying to catch up with the Joneses, I built a new
machine around the latest i7 Ivy Bridge processor.
As a quick and dirty start, I just moved the BLFS hard drive from my
"standard" machine, intel E8400, kernel 3.6.1, to the new box.
The two machines have the same basic, simple configuration,
a hard drive (=< 160G) and an optical one.
Obviously, I didn't expect instant smooth sailing on such a
heavy-handed "upgrade" but this really has hit me hard:

<<
VFS: Cannot open root device "sda3" or known-block(0,0):
 error -6
Please append a correct "root=" boot option:
 here are the available partitions:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
 unknown-block(0,0)
Pid: 1, comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 3.6.1 #1
Call trace:
 [.......] ? panic ...

Comments:
1.  My little DOS partition (sda1) works as nicely as before.
2.  A Knoppix CD (7.0.4, kernel 3.4.9) works just fine on the
new machine too.  Most discouraging.
An 'fdisk -l' shows my drive as clean as before (as "sda3").
3.  I tried another drive (which works identically on my old
 E8400 rig) and it exhibits the same behavior on the new one.
4.  I went through a same type nightmare a few years ago under kinda
similar circumstances.  The kernel developers had changed drive
names on me - from, say "hda3" to "sda3" so when I connected the
"old" hda hard drive on a new kernel similar panic ensued.
I fondly remember everybody got involved to help me (including
Mr. Beekmans) and finally we got it solved (after a few drops of blood).

Keeping the similarity intact, _in retrospect_, a simple kick
in my behind (a "hint", as they say) should've been enough:
 "Hey dummy!  Why don't you watch the 11 o'clock news !?:
  _everybody_ knows that the drive names have changed from
  "hd.." to "sd.." (for your own good!) !!!"
5.  Consequently, if a generous soul can just offer a similar hint,
in this instance, I'll be much appreciative:
 "Hey dummy!  Don't you know that when you move to Ivy Bridge
 and H77, you have to change/add in 'xxxxxx' (kernel configuration?)
 this and that for your system to boot up at all!!!"
Then I hope to be able to do my own heavy lifting from there on.

Thank you,
-- Alex