[blfs-support] xorg.conf.d file serials : dead keys

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 15 12:29:23 PST 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 06:17:07PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:

> ken at ac4tv ~ $cat /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/11-keyboard.conf
> # Based on a posting on the xorg lists, adapted
> #
> Section "InputClass"
>         Identifier "keyboard-all"
>         Driver "evdev"
>         Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
>         Option "XkbModel" "evdev"
>         Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl_alt_bksp"
>         MatchIsKeyboard "on"
> EndSection

 I forgot to mention that with that _minimal_ configuration the dead
keys come for free.  e.g. 'AltGr ;' followed by  'a' gives a-acute á
Other dead keys, if anyone cares, are / dot-below. ? dot-above,
: [ shifted ; ] double-acute for hungarian ő etc, ' circumflex,
@ [ shifted ' ] caret, # grave, ~ [ shifted # ] breve, [ diaeresis
or umlaut, { ring like in degrees °, ] tilde, } macron, = cedilla,
˛ ogonek.

 I have the following line in my .Xmodmap to ensure AltGr is set up
for *some* of my variations: not sure if it is necessary for this,
but I'd better mention it:
 xmodmap
 -e "keycode 108 = ISO_Level3_Shift Multi_key ISO_Level3_Shift Multi_key"

 The GB keyboard differs from e.g. US, these dead keys are on the
last key of the bottom row, before shift, the three keys at the end
of the next line, after l, the two keys on the end of the line above
next to p, and the = key at the end of the top row.  In general
there are two dead symbols on each of these keys (shifted and
unshifted - for me { is shifted [ and so forth).

 These are probably available to most people using UTF-8, at least
those who manage to somehow pick up
/usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose - a quick look at other
Compose files such as pt_BR.UTF-8 makes me think that most or all of
these are generally available.  I assume that desktop environments
with their own my-way-or-the-highway terms might prevent some or all
of these - in icewm with rxvt-unicode it works nicely :)

 And please note that I haven't managed to get _compose_ working in
recent xorg, but in practice _I_ don't have any *need* for it.
Also, I briefly tried, but failed, to get a dead-comma using another
nominally-available dead key and hacking my .Xmodmap, but failed :
that was to see if I could use correct (comma not circumflex)
versions of s and t in romanian.  So, everything is NOT yet perfect,
but things are a lot better than when I started out :)

ĸen