[blfs-support] Latest news in GNOME world

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Nov 14 23:21:05 PST 2012

On Thu, 2012-11-15 at 01:40 +0000, lux-integ wrote:
> Take grub2,  its seems well nigh impossible to manually create a grub.cfg.  A
> convoluted  epistle is autogenerated.

And yet us LFS people seem to manage. It's fiddly, certainly, but it's a
complex area. Do you think you could design a better system?

> As for systemd, I am hoping to learn it to hack into it.
> And I still remember devfsd being bullied and frozen-out for udev.

Devfs wasn't bullied out - it was removed because it was fundamentally
broken. It more or less worked, but it had serious problems and nobody
was volunteering to fix them.

> But Consider bsd-style bootscripts in an elegant scripting language like
> python ?

What a horrible idea. Python's a great language for general-purpose work
- but it's a lousy choice for the job of writing bootscripts. The
primary job of such a script is to start other processes, something that
takes far more Python code than it would Bash. Have you *seen* the
subprocess module API? It's powerful, but very clumsy for simple
tasks...

Simon.