[blfs-support] Latest news in GNOME world

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 19:54:54 PST 2012

Aleksandar Kuktin wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 01:40:06 +0000
>> "lux-integ" <lux-integ at btconnect.com> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> But Consider bsd-style bootscripts in an elegant scripting language
>> like python ?
>
> Ewww... python during bootstrap?
>
> It is a well-known and widely accepted fact that every solution will
> have at least 10% of people reeling back in horror. And python during
> bootstrap is the option for which I am definitely in that 10%.
>
>> with all the bullying surrounding systemd  I would not be at all
>> surprised if soon a group  emerges with such.
>
> It's a safe bet. It may even be a good solution. But not for me! :)

What is best for me is the simplest solution.  In this case, I think it
is bash scripts.  This is because they are short, simple to read and
understand, and fast.  Admins use the command line every day.  A shell
script is nothing more than an extension of the command line.

The entire set of LFS boot scripts is about 3800 lines counting with wc,
but subtracting comments and blank lines is probably in the range of
1000-1500 lines.  Adding a new script is typically 60 lines or so with
only half of that executable instructions.  That does not justify using
a more sophisticated language like perl or python or ruby.  Even less so
a compiled C program or set of programs like systemd.

   -- Bruce