[blfs-support] Latest news in GNOME world

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Wed Nov 14 03:52:28 PST 2012

I am not knowledgeable enough to discuss about this, but am trying to
follow the posts.

As a machine was running ubuntu 12.10, ssh to it and searching systemd
between installed software gave me nothing. Went to search about ubuntu and
systemd, just to find for my surprise that they use something called
upstart, not systemd, contrarily of what I expected, after reading the
posts here.

Then found two posts [1,2]:

Mark Shuttleworth talks about how good is upstart: "Upstart knows
everything it wants to be, the competition wants to be everything" [1],
whereas Lennart Poettering while saying he is "not going to say much",
writes 447 words: "... this appears to be very much about control ... this
decision is not good for the Linux ecosystem ... It's a sad day for the
Linux ecosystem ..." [2].

Perhaps these have been covered before in the posts, but too much
information for my level of expertise has prevented that many be
permanently recorded in my head.

[]s,
Fernando

[1]    http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1121