[blfs-support] Webcam not working with cheese due t gstreamer error

James Pinto james.pinto at phoenixfusion.in
Tue Nov 13 18:25:25 PST 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 7:17 AM, James Pinto
<james.pinto at phoenixfusion.in>wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Armin K. <krejzi at email.com> wrote:
>
>> On 11/13/2012 05:11 PM, James Pinto wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I rebuilt gstreamer bad plugins 0.10 and also good and ugly
>> > I now get the files /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstcamerabin2.so and
>> > /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstcamerabin.so
>> >
>> > But now I get the error:-
>> > One or more needed GStreamer elements are missing: One or more needed
>> > GStreamer elements are missing: vp8enc.
>>
>> Was libvpx present when you built gst bad plugins? vp8enc is part of
>> gst-bad-plugins but it needs libvpx to be present.
>>
>> --
>>

> Hi
>
> I already had libvpx when I installed gst bad plugins, anyway I did it
> again I reinstallled libvpx and then reinstalled gst bad plugins (I still
> havethe same error when I runn cheese) and now when I run make check I
> notice 3 errors I have copied the vp8enc part here at pastebin
> http://pastebin.com/kg1RNFug . Also one thing I need to mention is that
> after installing libvpx i noticed there were 2-3 entries that said noting
> to install also when I checked the path /usr/include/vpx I dint find libvpx.so
> at the location I even checked for hidden files
> Contents:-
>  *Installed Programs:* vp8_scalable_patterns, vpxdec and vpxenc
>  *Installed Libraries:* libvpx.so
>  *Installed Directories:* /usr/include/vpx
>
> Im usinng libvpx-v1.1.0 and gst bad plugins 0.10.23.
>
> I found libvpx.so at the path /usr/lib/
>
> I have the following files at /usr/include/vpx
> root [ /usr/include/vpx ]# ls
> vp8cx.h  vp8.h        vpx_codec_impl_bottom.h  vpx_decoder.h  vpx_image.h
> vp8dx.h  vpx_codec.h  vpx_codec_impl_top.h     vpx_encoder.h  vpx_integer.h
>
> Hey I noticed that the webcam light turns on during the gst bad plugins
> make check, I guess I may be getting close to make this work...:-)
>
> Pleas help I thnk Im almost there.
>
> Regards
> --
> James Earnest Pinto
> Director/CEO
> *Phoenix Fusion*
> www.phoenixfusion.in

Hey I ran cheese again and it worked ! thanks so much, Ive finally got my
webcam to work on my blfs os...

But I wonder why I got those make check errors...?

And is thesre a way to improve the quality?

I googled and found this cheese quantisizer patch
http://bugzilla-attachments.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=180452
I dont know which version of cheese the patch is for also there was a
qualty patch somewhere out there for cheese.

Im using Cheese 3.4.2 will upgrading to cheese 3.6.3 make any difference
uality wise? Also whhere are the pics and videos saved? I cant seem to find
any...

Regards
--
James Earnest Pinto