[blfs-support] Latest news in GNOME world

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Tue Nov 13 16:07:47 PST 2012

On 11/13/2012 06:45 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Baho Utot wrote:
>
>> I intend to build Xfce and KDE4 so I have a little ways to go.  I will
>> most likely end up using Xfce with some of KDE4 apps, that is if KDE4 is
>> sluggish with LFS/BLFS, under fedora 17 it's a turd on a quad core AMD
>> with 8G of ram, you can take a nap on booting. :-(   I fact I did fall
>> asleep waiting for it to boot. I boot it and then go to the kitchen for
>> a snack, if I take long enough it will be ready when I get back.  This
>> same system flies with Win 7.
>>
>> This LFS/BLFS project is my last attempt with linux... If it doesn't pan
>> out then I _WILL_ move to PC-BSD.
> You seem to be complaining about the speed of Xorg/window managers.  I
> would point out that those are the same applications as on BSD.  The
> difference would be in the low level video driver.
>
>     -- Bruce

Fedora 17 booting to the terminal is dismal as well, so No it's not Xorg
and company.

Linux/distros in general they are terrible! Too much crap I don't want
or need!

My options are: Slackware or build something myself.  I don't like the
package management on Slackware.
Than meant I would have to rebuild Slackware using my package manager,
so I opted for doing the whole thing using LFS/BLFS.  I have a LFS
server that has run (still in service) since LFS-6.3......whenever that
came out.

Doing the Slackware thing I would only have to cut and paste so that
would have been easier.
I then took the option to build a system from scratch, which result in a
system that I can stay at what ever "rev" I wish to.
I could for example stay with the LFS/BLFS pacman for a long time. So
what if the Linux world moves on, I will have a system that I can
reproduce as needed.