[blfs-support] Latest news in GNOME world

lux-integ lux-integ at btconnect.com
Tue Nov 13 14:45:34 PST 2012

On Tuesday 13 November 2012 22:22:26 Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I generally agree with your comments, but there are some drawbacks to
> cmake that I think makes it cumbersome.  For the lfs user who only wants
> to look at what is needed and then build a package, the equivalent to
> ./configure --help is not always complete and the -D variables don't
> seem to be very standardized. They are also generally a bit long.

Agree
but this is changing   the more recent ports   often have   the top
CMakeLists.txt    with the 'options'  listed.    And yes they are not   yet
standardised.    Some are still using cmake-2.4.

Also   I think beginning with 2.8.8  you can enable autotools install
destination (or some such ) in otherwords  -DWITH_MANDIR=  -DWITH_SYSCONFDIR=
etc  or some such.

I forgot to add to my original list I can envisage X-org, Mesa,  and 'last-
man-standing-gcc  eventually moving to cmake.