[blfs-support] Latest news in GNOME world

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 14:22:26 PST 2012

lux-integ wrote:
> On Saturday 10 November 2012 00:09:02 Ken Moffat wrote:
>>   I loathe cmake [ reinventing the bumpy wheel of configure, but with
>> edges instead of the fairly smooth curves, in my biased opinion ] so
>> I've long since given up on kde.
>
> what a shame .
>
> cmake is the future.
> It works will with c/c++, fortran less so ada) and even   java  is
> underdevelopment  (to replace ant !)
> (I can envisage a revamped Apache openoffice, postgresql,  openjdk   etc -all
> migrating soon to cmake )
>
>   cmake  is a bit tedius to translate some things from autoconf  (the configH
> porting can be  tedious)   ut  once done, tewaking and maintence is easy.  It
> gives   better control on libraries, executables and linking.   For instance I
> had problems linking with atlas9 libraries (fortran)  that chocked autconf
> but  was doable with cmake.    Thanfuly atlas10  has overcome these.

I generally agree with your comments, but there are some drawbacks to
cmake that I think makes it cumbersome.  For the lfs user who only wants
to look at what is needed and then build a package, the equivalent to
./configure --help is not always complete and the -D variables don't
seem to be very standardized. They are also generally a bit long.

   -- Bruce