[blfs-support] Latest news in GNOME world

lux-integ lux-integ at btconnect.com
Tue Nov 13 14:09:10 PST 2012

On Saturday 10 November 2012 00:09:02 Ken Moffat wrote:
>  I loathe cmake [ reinventing the bumpy wheel of configure, but with
> edges instead of the fairly smooth curves, in my biased opinion ] so
> I've long since given up on kde.

what a shame .

cmake is the future.
It works will with c/c++, fortran less so ada) and even   java  is
underdevelopment  (to replace ant !)
(I can envisage a revamped Apache openoffice, postgresql,  openjdk   etc -all
migrating soon to cmake )

 cmake  is a bit tedius to translate some things from autoconf  (the configH
porting can be  tedious)   ut  once done, tewaking and maintence is easy.  It
gives   better control on libraries, executables and linking.   For instance I
had problems linking with atlas9 libraries (fortran)  that chocked autconf
but  was doable with cmake.    Thanfuly atlas10  has overcome these.

Also QT- ( I consider a crown-jewel-of-the-gpl)-based  software  increasingly
is dropping qmake  in favour of cmake.

perhaps you should give cmake another whirl

cheers

luxInteg