[blfs-support] Chroot Problem

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Tue Nov 13 13:19:36 PST 2012

Since I latest read about the time a Linux system can run without needing
boot again, I had this in mind to write. I sent here instead of lfs,
because now I am going to install a windows manager and then FF and
dependencies. But if preferred so, I can send to lfs (support).

I have to boot every time I chroot in LFS7.2 and logout back to LFS7.1,
because then I cannot open anymore a terminal (tested with ROXTerm or
Terminator, the former opens a normal window, but with an error message,
and closes, the latter is worse, as it also kills X).

Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

I am using the following (run from a script):

mount -v --bind \
  /media/Dados1T/My_Download_Files/Sistema/Linux/lfs/sources6.8/ \
  /media/LFS72/home/fernando/sshfs/ &&
mount -v --bind /dev /media/LFS72/dev &&
mount -vt devpts devpts /media/LFS72/dev/pts &&
mount -vt proc proc /media/LFS72/proc &&
mount -vt sysfs sysfs /media/LFS72/sys &&
if [ -h /dev/shm ]; then
   rm -f -v /media/LFS72/dev/shm &&
   mkdir -v /media/LFS72/dev/shm
fi &&
mount -vt tmpfs shm /media/LFS72/dev/shm

(Before, I used a variable for LFS, but trying to understand, I changed to explicit directory everywhere.)

Then, I issue by hand:

chroot "$LFS" /usr/bin/env -i      \
HOME=/root                         \
TERM="$TERM"                       \