[blfs-support] Latest news in GNOME world

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Tue Nov 13 01:22:26 PST 2012

On Mon, 2012-11-12 at 11:56 -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> cgroups?  What advantages does that give to a single user workstation?
> A dedicated LAMP server?  Factor those systems out and how many systems
> are left?

It makes it possible to reliably track *all* processes started by a
particular service, no matter what convoluted techniques that service is
using to detach itself. Minor, I know, but useful...

But conversely, what's the *disadvantage* to using cgroups? If you're
thinking of all the resource management stuff, you should know that
systemd doesn't use that unless someone has configured a particular
service to use it. All it does by default is stick an identifying label
on the processes started from it, something with no overhead to speak
of...

> When I complained once about systemd on a list that the devs read, they
> asked why there was a problem understanding systemd.  After all there
> was 100 pages of documentation.  I replied that that problem was that
> 100 pages of documentation were needed.

Have you read Lennart's blog posts? While there's certainly an element
of "information overload", the initial systemd announcement did a pretty
good job of explaining things...

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd.html

Some of the details have evolved since then, but the higher level parts
should be accurate enough. The comments at the bottom are also worth
reading... though I have to say, Lennart must have a thick skin to put
up with some of the abuse he gets.

> There is a balanced discussion at
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/what-are-the-advantages-disadvantages-of-using-systemd-versus-sysvinit-4175422544/

Somewhat balanced, perhaps. But I get a sense from there (and elsewhere)
that there are a lot of people take ideas like "do one thing well" and
"freedom of choice", and regard them as absolute holy law that must
never be questioned. And I tend to stop reading fairly quickly when I
see phrases like "people like him are poisonous" or other such abusive
ranting...

Simon.