[blfs-support] Systemd's journal (was Re: Latest news in GNOME world)

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Mon Nov 12 21:21:16 PST 2012

On 11/13/2012 12:39 AM, Baho Utot wrote:

> Fourth  he binary log gets corrupted, how does one recover that?
> Ie the disk log space fills up, does it keep writing?

I can answer this one.

I test kernels and latest stuff lately so it's very likely that at some
point my machine will lock up. And so it happens on rare ocassions.

The journald itself by default logs into /run (a tmpfs) unless
/var/log/journal exists. On cold shutdown, file becomes corrupt and you
can notice it in next boot. However, message only says that file looks
corrupt and it is "replacing" it. I didn't notice that anything was
missing from the logs though.

Also, you can configure journald to pass all information to standard
syslog daemon like sysklogd, syslog-ng or rsyslog. I still use rsyslog
so I can manage to have lot of standard log files available. Something
journalctl can be pain for a long logging period.