[blfs-support] Systemd's journal (was Re: Latest news in GNOME world)

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 13:26:08 PST 2012

Matt Burgess wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-11-12 at 11:56 -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>> What advantages does systemd give?
>>
>> Binary logs?  That's a little difficult to work with if Xorg isn't
>> working.  How do you grep a binary log?
>
> I was going to say 'me too' to all of your post, Bruce, but then, in
> trying to find the list of 18(!) guides on how to use the various
> components of systemd came across
> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/journalctl.html which describes how to
> access the binary logs.  The features it provides all seem pretty neat
> and all accessible from the command line.  So, that's one less thing for
> me to hold against it.

OK, let's discuss this.  My first comment is that when you have custom
programs like this, the author has to think about everything an admin
might ever want.  What if the admin wants something the author didn't
think about?

Second is that you are using different tools from other logs such as
apache, ftp, mail and any other application that writes a log.

Third, if the logs were ascii, the bells and whistles in the link above
could be accomplished with a bash script fairly easily.

About the only really sensible argument is that binary logs use less
disk space.  In the days of TB drives, even that isn't a big deal.

To me the whole systemd philosophy moves away from user knows best to
developer knows best.  That's just like MS and Apple.  The difference of
course is that systemd *is* open source and we don't have to use it.

   -- Bruce

P.S.  I never did like wtmp, btmp, utmp for pretty much the same reasons
as above.