[blfs-support] Latest news in GNOME world

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 09:56:10 PST 2012

Simon Geard wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-11-11 at 10:56 +0100, Armin K. wrote:
>> I have no problems with it either, but LFS/BLFS people seem to reject
>> systemd (for now).
>
> Understandable. I like the concept, but it's not exactly ideal from the
> point of view of a project trying to teach people how their system works
> - the traditional shell scripts might be kind of messy, but they're much
> more transparent. And of course, it's not all that hard (last time I
> tried, at least) to convert an LFS system to systemd.

What advantages does systemd give?

Binary logs?  That's a little difficult to work with if Xorg isn't
working.  How do you grep a binary log?

cgroups?  What advantages does that give to a single user workstation?
A dedicated LAMP server?  Factor those systems out and how many systems
are left?

Fast bootup?  I've got my system down to less than 8 seconds.  Shutdown
is about 4 seconds.  The reason for commercial system boot problems is
because they want one system to boot any hardware.  That means hundreds
(thousands?) of modules.  Note that boot time is also a function of
hardware.  On a virtual system like kvm, boot time from grub to login
prompt is about 2 seconds!

When I complained once about systemd on a list that the devs read, they
asked why there was a problem understanding systemd.  After all there
was 100 pages of documentation.  I replied that that problem was that
100 pages of documentation were needed.

There is a balanced discussion at

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/what-are-the-advantages-disadvantages-of-using-systemd-versus-sysvinit-4175422544/

   -- Bruce