[blfs-support] Latest news in GNOME world

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sun Nov 11 00:40:30 PST 2012

On Fri, 2012-11-09 at 23:34 +0100, Armin K. wrote:
> And as I've read somewhere, GNOME 3.10 or 3.12 might actualy become
> GNOME 4 and it will be used for GNOME OS - an operating system mostly
> for touch devices.

Be careful what you read about such things - there's a huge difference
between the things individual Gnome developers talk about, and what
Gnome as a whole is actually doing. Practically from day one, people
talked about G3 as a touch-oriented interface, even though it's actually
awful on small devices, and works best on a desktop with a big monitor.

That said, there's a significant range of hardware coming out these days
to support Windows 8, including both laptop and desktop machines with
touch screens. It *is* something that the open desktops need to keep in
mind these days...

Simon.