[blfs-support] black screen and cursor after installing gdm in blfs

James Pinto james.pinto at phoenixfusion.in
Sat Nov 10 21:56:34 PST 2012

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM, James Pinto
<james.pinto at phoenixfusion.in>wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 2:05 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ken Moffat wrote:

>> time is

>> fine)

>> >   OK, I'll admit that I'm very puzzled by that.
>> >
>> >   What sort of time errors do you see - is it a few minutes, or
>> > hours, or does it vary ?
>> >
>> >   Is the machine connected to the world ?  If so, is ubuntu using ntp
>> > to get the time, and is your LFS system using ntp ?  Is the date
>> > itself correct in the LFS system ?
>>
>> Ouput from:
>>
>> $ hwclock --show
>> $ file /etc/localtime
>>
>> would be useful, but it really sounds like a hw problem.
>>
>>    -- Bruce
>> --
>>

> Hi
>
> The time is hours ahead its only 10:10 AM out here
> root [ ~ ]# hwclock --show
> Sun 11 Nov 2012 03:30:35 PM IST  -0.843630 seconds
> root [ ~ ]# file /etc/localtime
> /etc/localtime: timezone data, version 2, 4 gmt time flags, 4 std time
> flags, no leap seconds, 4 transition times, 4 abbreviation chars
> root [ ~ ]#
>
> Hey I guess it is a hw problem coz even in ubuntu when I run the command I
> get the wrong tiome
> sudo hwclock --show
> [sudo] password for james:
> Sunday 11 November 2012 03:50:36 PM IST  -0.938127 seconds
>
> In Ubuntu Automatically from the Internet is selected under date and time
> (So yes in Ubuntu Im using Network time)
>
> But how is this possible in Windows 7 I use the hw clock only and it shows
> the correct time? or does that also use network time by default. I remember
> on installation of windows 7 on another pc It asks to choose a timezone on
> the map so I guess that uses network time too? Im not sure though about
> Windows 7 on my laptop though because its an OEM installation and came
> installed with the laptop.
>
> Firstly how can I correctly set it using network time, the gui front end
> of time and date settings doesnt seem to change the time(I think it doesnt
> work) I have UTC set to m1 UTC=1 as of now.
>
> Secondly how can I solve this hw problem if there is one...
>
> Regards
> --
> James Earnest Pinto
> *Phoenix Fusion*
> www.phoenixfusion.in

Hi

I managed to fix the time problem using network time...

I set UTC=0 and reselected the timezone to set the TZ variable. and then
when I estarted into the system the time was correct for root and the user.

But should'nt the command hostname return lfshome, instead it returns
'dhcppc0'
Here are the contents of /etc/hosts/
root [ ~ ]# cat /etc/hosts
# Begin /etc/hosts (network card version)
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.1.1 lfshome
# End /etc/hosts (network card version)

And below is what I get on running hostname
root [ ~ ]# hostname
dhcppc0
root [ ~ ]# su james
james [ /root ]$ hostname
dhcppc0

Also running hwclock --show as a normal user shows command not found.

I still cant understand why hwclock isnt showing the correct time I checked
the time in the BIOS and its correct.

Regards
--
James Earnest Pinto