[blfs-support] black screen and cursor after installing gdm in blfs

James Pinto james.pinto at phoenixfusion.in
Sat Nov 10 21:00:14 PST 2012

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 2:05 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 08:27:31PM +0530, James Pinto wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi

> >> I have already done this...
> >>
> >> It temporarily solved the problem but when I restart the system the
> time is
> >> wrong again.

> >> I also use Ubuntu and time works there perfectly. (so my battery is
> fine)
> >>
> >> Regards
> >
> >   OK, I'll admit that I'm very puzzled by that.
> >
> >   What sort of time errors do you see - is it a few minutes, or
> > hours, or does it vary ?
> >
> >   Is the machine connected to the world ?  If so, is ubuntu using ntp
> > to get the time, and is your LFS system using ntp ?  Is the date
> > itself correct in the LFS system ?
>
> Ouput from:
>
> $ hwclock --show
> $ file /etc/localtime
>
> would be useful, but it really sounds like a hw problem.
>
>    -- Bruce
> --

Hi

The time is hours ahead its only 10:10 AM out here
root [ ~ ]# hwclock --show
Sun 11 Nov 2012 03:30:35 PM IST  -0.843630 seconds
root [ ~ ]# file /etc/localtime
/etc/localtime: timezone data, version 2, 4 gmt time flags, 4 std time
flags, no leap seconds, 4 transition times, 4 abbreviation chars
root [ ~ ]#

Hey I guess it is a hw problem coz even in ubuntu when I run the command I
get the wrong tiome
sudo hwclock --show
[sudo] password for james:
Sunday 11 November 2012 03:50:36 PM IST  -0.938127 seconds

In Ubuntu Automatically from the Internet is selected under date and time
(So yes in Ubuntu Im using Network time)

But how is this possible in Windows 7 I use the hw clock only and it shows
the correct time? or does that also use network time by default. I remember
on installation of windows 7 on another pc It asks to choose a timezone on
the map so I guess that uses network time too? Im not sure though about
Windows 7 on my laptop though because its an OEM installation and came
installed with the laptop.

Firstly how can I correctly set it using network time, the gui front end of
time and date settings doesnt seem to change the time(I think it doesnt
work) I have UTC set to m1 UTC=1 as of now.

Secondly how can I solve this hw problem if there is one...

Regards
--
James Earnest Pinto
*Phoenix Fusion*