[blfs-support] Latest news in GNOME world

Aleksandar Kuktin akuktin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 17:33:56 PST 2012

>On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 16:27:59 -0600
>Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Armin K. wrote:
> > Good morning/afternoon/evening.
>
> > That said, I won't maintain GNOME in the book and if you ask me,
> > you can drop it completely. In BLFS we don't tend to force users to
> > do something and keeping GNOME would force (some) users to use mesa
> > with llvm for llvmpipe in order to use GNOME.
> >
> > There is 3.6.2 release comming and that would be last revision
> > regarding GNOME from me.
>
> I understand where you are coming from.  I gave up on GNOME some time
> ago when I was just installing and testing one of the commercial
> distros.  I also had an issue with the KDE window manager, but like
> their applications.  My solution is to build KDE and XFCE and run the
> KDE apps in XFCE.  Works fine.
>
> As far as dropping it from the book, I'm not so sure.  I think we
> have a decent snapshot and can leave it alone without either
> upgrading or dropping it.  A note at the start would explain our
> position.
>
> One thing I'd like to point out is that a lot of people really didn't
> like KDE4 when it first came out.  It took a couple of years to get
> it into reasonable shape.  Perhaps that will happen to GNOME.
>
>    -- Bruce

I remember reading a bunch of posts on Usenet (group hr.comp.linux, I
think) several years back where people lamented that the GNOME project
experienced a rotation of developers, when old people who knew what
they were doing left and new (clueless) people came in. And the first
thing that happend was that the new guys immediately stopped fixing
bugs. Their explanation for that seems to have been "the community will
take care of it" - an attitude which speaks volumes about their
misunderstanding of the free/open source software culture. And, as it
appears, they just plowed on.

There may be signs that glibc is undergoing a similar dynamic. Firefox
is already a lost cause, although it never really was a real hardcore
FOSS project, and certainly never was a browser made for Unix.

--
   Fourth law of programming:
   Anything that can go wrong wi