[blfs-support] Latest news in GNOME world

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 9 16:09:02 PST 2012

On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 10:59:11PM +0100, Armin K. wrote:

>  From my point of view, I started disliking GNOME more and more after
> every 3.x release. For me, the 3.2 release was *best* by far. And after
> I found out that GNOME devs actually don't care what users need and they
> do the things that they think users need. One example was "taking apart"
> nautilus file manager with 3.6 release. One of the reasons was: "It does
> not work on TOUCH (yes, TOUCH!) and we will remove it", but lot of users
> said that feature was useful for them [4].
>
> As soon as I've seen that, I decided that I wouldn't stick with GNOME
> anymore. I've already migrated to KDE (currently using 4.9.3) and I feel
> happy with it, but I still have GNOME 3 installed.

 First, many thanks for your considerable efforts with gnome 3.

 For me, some of gnome started to go downhill in the mid-2 days.
Last night I booted my ppc64 (to check its battery was still
working, I had some fun and games last year when it seemed to lose
the date after a few months of non-use and everything kept getting
fsck'd on each boot), and decided to boot all three LFS-derived
systems : the oldest came up in gdm.  I'd forgotten I used to use
that! (gave it up because it started to hang silently at shutdown
when _I_ broke a bootscript : for an *lfs dev, being unable to see
where it was hanging wasn't nice).

 Gcalctool has also got more limited with each release, and epiphany
has suffered decreasing usability.

  I loathe cmake [ reinventing the bumpy wheel of configure, but with
edges instead of the fairly smooth curves, in my biased opinion ] so
I've long since given up on kde.  I suppose I'll have to look at mate
and xfce, and wonder how long I'll be able to continue using gnumeric
and abiword.  Not your problem.

ĸen